Rest Day - Geraldton


A good nights sleep and a leisurely breakfast made for a relaxing start to our first rest day in Geraldton.

Most of the gang spent the morning catching up on laundry, bike lubing, and sorting out any mechanical issues and heading into town to have a look around and buy any necessary supplies. Many headed to the HMAS Sydney II Memorial. Commanding the hill overlooking Geraldton is a memorial commemorating the 1941 loss of the Sydney and its 645 men after a skirmish with the German raider Kormoran.

As for me, my day was a jam packed schedule of media commitments and meeting some local sporting groups organized by Michelle (PR Manager extraordinaire). The schedule went like this:

10am - Interview and photo shoot with the Geraldton Times. The article should appear in the local paper tomorrow of Friday.

11am – Pre recorded interview with ABC mid west radio. To be played at 10:40am tomorrow.

While at the ABC studios I met wheelie paratriathlete Chris Kerr. We talked all things paratriathlon before heading to her local bike shop, Revolutions, for more photos. Here I had a crack at riding a cargo bike which was fun but had a far larger turning circle than Wagstaff making it difficult to control. I can’t understand why nobody wanted to be my cargo!

This was then followed by lunch at Chris’s favourite café Flow Vitality with a few of our cycling crew. I had heard a lot of good reports about the wholesome food here and it didn’t let us down. Magnificent! Owner of the café Renee chatted to us and generously offered to donate $1 for every coffee sold today. What a lovely gesture and one much appreciated. I am certainly warming to the local people of Geraldton!

1-2pm - Relax on the foreshore – we had a few moments to relax on the grass on the foreshore and admire the stunning blue waters of the Indian Ocean. While here Maz produced some blue and pink nail polish and proceeded to paint the toes of all around her. This included Renee, Michelle, Baz and Rob. Now to talk the rest of our crew into joining us by wearing our START colours on their feet. Not sure what the locals thought seeing Rob and Baz sharing a bench seat and drying their pretty toes in the sunshine! I reckon I saw a few locals scurrying away!

2pm – Met with local cycling club members, Spokes, for an informal chat. We are fortunate to have a few of their crew escorting us out of town in the morning. This includes a couple of tall males who we hope will provide a good shield for us as we are expecting substantial north westerlies.

The lovely Tim and Barb from Spokes kindly drove us back to our accommodation for a quick rest before we were bussed back to town for an Italian feast (and carb load) at L’Italiano Restaurant.

The legs are now rested and we are all gearing up for stage 2 of the ride starting with a 156km ride to Kalbarri tomorrow.

Richard Cooke